For Thanksgiving and beyond, fresh squash grown right here at Vala’s Pumpkin Patch is one of the most iconic flavors of fall. We can not get enough of it! And this year, with a bumper crop, we’re selling it for pick-up November 25th, the day before Thanksgiving. This is a treat! There are a million ways to cook squash, but here is a roundup of some recipes across the web and one recipe from The Vala’s Pumpkin Patch Cookbook, just to get you started.
Butternut Squash Risotto — This is a one of my favorite ways to eat butternut squash, and this Instant Pot recipe looks like a great, simplified version.
Cheesy Bacon Butternut Squash –Yes, you can make it into a casserole!!
Roasted Whole Butternut Squash –This is basically how my Mom prepared butternut squash my entire childhood, it’s just classic.
Butternut Squash Chili –Spicy and sweet, this recipe is on my “to make” list.
Mashed Butternut Squash –So pretty, and probably the best way to have kids and picky eaters enjoy squash.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 3 pounds butternut squash, cleaned, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 baguette
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth and squash, plus about a cup of water, or just enough to barely cover the squash; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender, or use a blender. (Be careful and do not fill blender more than half for hot liquid—it will take several batches to puree all the soup.) In the same pot, stir in cream and bring the soup back to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat broiler. Drizzle olive oil on bread slices. Sprinkle cheese over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Ladle soup into bowls. Top each with croutons and serve.